Traumatic injury is the leading cause of death for young people worldwide, and blood loss is the primary factor. There are a number of technologies to stop external bleeding, but there is nothing for internal bleeding. We want to help change that.
We combine polymer synthesis and processing, drug delivery, and stem cell biology in pursuit of new approaches to therapy.
Current Research projects include:
- Fabricating polymers to stop bleeding after injury
- Hemostatic nanoparticles for blast trauma
- Drug delivery for TBI
- Modifying the environment after injury to promote repair
- Sustained delivery of timolol maleate for glaucoma
- Reporter scaffolds that not only support but report on cell behavior post transplantation
The Lavik and Leach Labs: Collaborating at UMBC